About Us

Our History

churchThe First Presbyterian Church of Glen Cove was founded in 1869 to bring the message of the Christian gospel to this part of Long Island. Originally the Church was located up on Highland Road, in the vicinity of the present Episcopal Church.

In 1905 the Church was given the property where it is presently located and the church building and the manse/pastor’s house were built next to each other in 1906. Both buildings were built in the Tudor style, popular at that time. The striking architectural design, both inside and out, have created a lasting community landmark that sits on a small hillside, visible from several directions.

Inside, the sanctuary is relatively small and cozy with a single center pulpit, a magnificent pipe organ, slanted flooring which descends to the pulpit area, stained glass windows and sliding glass doors which open to a wonderfully light and airy Parish Hall. The adjacent kitchen and parlor provide easy access for meetings, Bible studies and Christian education classes. There is a full basement with many smaller rooms off the main area, making it possible for one of the other Hispanic congregations to meet there for worship and Church school.

This Church has always been mission-minded, helping to institute the North Shore Sheltering Program, which it houses during the winter months, and maintaining a strong relationship with the Interfaith Nutrition Network, as well as the Long Island Council of Churches. We are members of the InterAgency Council of Glen Cove and North Shore Clergy Association.
There is a strong emphasis on peacemaking and social justice within the church and members are active, volunteering at local hospitals, schools, etc. For example the Church started the recycling program in the area which the city eventually took over.

 

Our Pastor

Rev. Betsy Simpson has been the Pastor of First Presbyterian Church, Glen Cove, for over 10 years, having previously served as Pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Southold.   Rev. Simpson  received her BA from Hanover College, Hanover, IN, in 1971, and spent her Junior Year of college at the University of Ghana, West Africa.  She earned her M. Div. from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1974.  In 1978 she earned a M.A. in education from Castleton State College in Vermont and then a Th. M. in Christian Education from Princeton Theological Seminary in 1982.

Rev. Simpson has always believed that the church is to be open and welcoming of all people regardless of race, nationality, sexual orientation, or socio-economic position.  She is interested in and advocates for peace, non-violence, social justice, caring for the environment, alleviating poverty and homelessness and building the community of nations.  Her hope is to continue to offer a place of sanctuary, nurture and spiritual challenge to everyone who is searching for a church home. You are invited to contact the Pastor at the church office, 671-0258, or at her home office, 656-9540.  You may also reach her by email at ekfsimpson@optonline.net.

What is Presbyterian?

Presbyterians are a denomination of Protestants, Christians who worship similarly to Roman Catholics and other Protestants, but who govern themselves along the same lines as our civil government.  We elect people from the congregation to serve on a board, called a session, for 3 year terms.  They make the policy decisions for the church.  We do not have bishops or a hierarchy of power in our denomination, nor do we recognize the Pope as anyone with divine authority.

We believe in the authority of the Bible, but also in the responsibility to continually study and interpret the scriptures

Our Staff

WSBetsyBook96 Rev Betsy Simpson – Pastor

E-mail: ekfsimpson@optonline.net
Phone: (516) 671-0258
Fax: (516) 671-8761

 

tori iannacchinoa Tori Iannacchino – Director of Music

E-mail: idolette@aol.com
Phone: (516) 671-0258
Fax: (516) 671-8761

 

 

Website Designed By The Digital Age Group by UFO Themes